Thursday, February 08, 2007

grammys rehearsals

So did I mention that my best friend Gretchen sent me her son? To entrust me with her firstborn...I know she really loves me. Oh, but there's something in it for Jake too, other than carrying in my groceries and amusing my children. We're taking him to Grammys rehearsals! Watching rehearsals is definitely the best thing about Josh's job. Tonight we saw Mary J. Blige rehearse with a full orchestra (I was practically dancing in the aisles, she was so amazing) and then Gnarls Barkley, also with an orchestra. Freakin' phenomenal. Tomorrow our main goal is to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers rehearse.

Since Jake is a veggiesaurus, we did something very brave today for lunch. I've lived in this city all my life and have never been to the Hsi Lai Temple for even a visit. I'd always heard that they serve an excellent vegetarian buffet lunch for a minimal donation. I'm so glad we broke out of my comfort zone to try this! Such good food: rice, chow mein, bok choy, snow peas with red bell peppers, curried tofu, and some other yummy vegetable stuff. They're preparing the Temple for Chinese New Year next week - there was so much to see.

I'm really enjoying having Jake here and of course the girls are, too. He seemed to dig rehearsals tonight, especially getting his credential (he's an "intern"!) and all the freeway graffiti on the way down. Tomorrow we're going to try to make it downtown for an hour or two and maybe walk through the area around Olvera Street (I just know Abie and Bendy want Mucha Libra masks!) and take pictures of graffiti. Maybe drive through Chinatown, then back to The Heights to get Claire from school and hit the Temple buffet again before getting Kaylie and heading back to the Staples Center. Phew! Saturday - more rehearsals, possibly with just Josh to give Jake a break from the girls. Before he leaves on Sunday we're going to drive down to Hollywood and walk along Melrose Avenue. Jake will be in heaven. My plan to keep him in California to bribe the rest of his family out here will work perfectly once Jake sets foot on Melrose. Heh, heh, heh.

Gretchen - thank you for sharing so much of your life with me. You've enriched my life in so many ways, so selflessly, so many times. You've taught me so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

mwah!