Monday, October 22, 2007

this is as bad as I have ever seen

I admit that I have a flair for the dramatic, that I thrive during times of crisis and usually fast-forward to the worst case scenario. BUT....seriously? This is as bad as I've ever seen as far as wildfires go. As of the time of this post there are no fires within a 45 mile radius of us (yes Josh, 45, not 50, I stand corrected) but even here, the sky is glowing orange from all the soot and ash. We're now worried about a lot more people than Margot & Mark. Turnbull Canyon hasn't burned since 1989 and I always worry about when it will again. The closest area to us that would put us in danger is a little foothill called Punta Del Este. I remember it burning when I was 3 or 4; we watched it from the front yard of the house I live in now. Punta Del Este tries to catch fire at least every other year but the fires seem to be put out quickly, most likely with help from the residents of the houses that dot the hillside. But now, with our fire resources stretched so thin, I worry.

No comments: