Wednesday, November 07, 2007

El Campo Santo



I'd love it if you would check out the pictures I took yesterday at El Campo Santo, the old graveyard at the Workman Temple Homestead. I've been doing some reading about local history, probably because Kaylie is doing another explorer unit this year. We visited the homestead museum in fourth grade and again in sixth I think. I've always loved the area and been fascinated about the lives of the people who built their homes here "first".

However, I have been highly annoyed to find out that one of the settlers killed himself when he lost all this land at the beginning of the Depression. Kind of an important piece of the story, isn't it? We don't need to go into details, but kids deserve to be told the truth, especially when learning about history at school. Sheesh.

You can also check out more pictures of the cemetery by yours truly here.
If you like, you can read an interesting "article" about Turnbull Canyon, the legends surrounding it and how they tie in to the Workman/Temple/Rowland families. It's a long one though. I've chosen not to believe most of the legends of Turnbull Canyon. Growing up here, I had my fair share of party nights at the locations mentioned above. Still, when a Christian evangalist chick gets mysteriously killed and dragged around the city (beginning on Turnbull Canyon) it does make you pause...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading the spine-tingling "Legends of Turnball Canyon" as I am especially interested in Southern California history, folklore, and legends. This would be a great subject for an aspiring documentary filmaker.

Laurie (LC)

Laura said...

Twins again, Laurie! But I never thought of it in terms of a documentary! You're brilliant. You'll have to come up here sometime and we'll visit the Homestead museum :)

Anonymous said...

That would be awesome!

-Laurie (LC)